Tuesday, May 14, 2013

This just makes my blood boil (and humanity keeps losing cool points)

I just found an article that competlely made me lose it. Like straight up crazy, rabid, incensed kind of lose it. I don't know what about the article set me off, but ultimately, I think it's just fundamentally a CRAPTASTIC thing to do. For perspective (there's the proctoid coming out) here is a link to the article that got me all riled up.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/disney_world_srich_kid_outrage_zTBA0xrvZRkIVc1zItXGDP

Now, where to begin. This is all kinds of messed up. As you have probably deduced, I am OBSESSED with Disney. I love it. I love the happy, warm gooey center of happiness it gives me when I walk down Main Street USA. I love the cherished memories with family that I created there. I love the sense of magic, wonder and hope that it gives. Cheesy, yes, but that's ok. In this world of hate, dispair and seediness, I will take pixie dust and imagination any day.

Abuse of power through means of wealth, position and connections is nothing new. What I think bothers me the most is that Disney is ultimately an equal opportunity environment. (at least for now) Yes, there are different classes of hotels, etc you can stay in, but the experience that is Disney is universally attainable. Advanced dining reservations are first come, first served, Yes, you could hire people to do that, but you don't need money to be able to snag reservations to Be Our Guest if you are 180 days out. Fast Passes? Yes, you could hire a VIP guide to help cut down on lines, but a little planning on your part and voila: fast pass! It doesn't matter if you paid 10,000 dollars for your trip or $2,000, you essentially are afforded the same opportunities and abilities to make the most of your Disney Experience. The only thing that money can afford you is the ability to stay at a better hotel and more options. (hello Bibiddi Bobbity Boutique and BackStage Tours) These aren't necessary to have a great time, but simply enhancements to make it even better. Disney is not cheap, and not everyone has had the blessing to go, but for those that can, I hope you will and do agree. (PS: if you need help with planning, come to me! I LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE planning trips to Disney. It gives me disgusting amounts of joy!)

Now, what these woman are doing is reprehensible. I can not even IMAGINE what kind of entitled, self important brats they are raising. Can you even begin to imagine the EXPECTATIONS these kids will have in their lives? I mean if they do this for a trip to Disney (which, I admit, is a big deal) what will they do for their kids to get into their dream college? Their sweet sixteen? Their wedding? It has become a competition amongst the moms on who can give them the "most". Well, how about "giving" them the lesson of humility? The lesson of failure? The lesson of hard work? The lesson of NO ENTITLEMENTS. The lesson of trying your hardest. The lesson of you won't always be first. The lesson of life isn't always fair. These are the lessons that as moms, we NEED to be teaching them. YES, we want to give our children the world, and yes, we think they deserve them. But at what point are we doing them a disservice? At what point is our "helping" becoming a hinderance? All I wish for my children is to become happy, healthy, functioning adults. Now, with me as a mother, highly doubtful, but luckily they have their amazing father. Now, it is inherent in my nature to want to give them every toy, outfit, opportunity possible, but I know this will do more harm than good. Millennials are showing us what overindulging and instant gratification can do and is QUICKLY rearing its ugly head in the work force. There is no patience any more. No more work hard and you will be rewarded. We are giving our children so much, they want or need for NOTHING. That desire is what sets us apart. That spirit of never giving up, knowing what defeat tastes like: that's what separates the men (or women) from the boys (or girls). We need to stop treating our children like fine china, for display and pride purposes only, and start treating them like Fiesta Ware. You know, colorful, bright, tough but still breakable. Children are not status symbols or pets to be pampered. We need to understand, that as parents, EVERY action, every decision, every judgment call will have repercussions. So in the wise words of the knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: CHOOSE WISELY.

Alright.. enough of this rant for now. I think you all see where I'm going with this. Here's to a happy day filled with Pixie Dust, love and just enough disappointment that makes you longing to work hard at tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment